One of the most challenging parts of work is staying focused. There are millions of things to think about in the day when it comes to work, family, friends, household, and more. How can we keep focused on tasks when there is so much running through our heads? Here are a few tips to help guide you on the right track to staying focused:
- Create a Plan. Before you begin anything, take a moment to sit down with paper and pen to make a plan for your day. Your plan can be to break the day into hours or by the projects you need to complete. Leave room for the possibility of disruptions because they will happen at one point or another.
- Stay Organized (Physically and Digitally). Having an organized space allows you to keep a clear mind that can quickly get to any tool you need for your project. This means a workspace that is clear of clutter, an organized email inbox, and desk and digital files that are easy to find.
- Stay off Social Media (unless it’s part of your job). Unless you are involved in Marketing or a career that requires you to be on social media, stay off it. It’s a time drainer and can sometimes send you down a rabbit hole and jeopardize your focused energy.
- Music Can Stimulate Creativity. Studies show that instrumental music can increase creativity and productivity. Swap out vocals for non-vocal music, and you’ll be set.
- Take it One Step at a Time. No rushing. Make sure that not only do you complete your work, but you complete it correctly. Rushing through will cause you more time to go back and fix a mistake. Take the time to do it correctly the first time.
- Stop Procrastinating. It’s so easy to do but a habit that needs to be broken. If you set out to complete a task today, work hard to stay focused on that task alone and get it completed. You’ll thank yourself tomorrow.
- Take Breaks. Sometimes you can get in a groove, and if you do, then keeping going if that feels best. If you feel yourself losing focus, take a break, breathe, walk around, stretch, and try and get back on track.
However your day ends up going, don’t blame yourself if something doesn’t get completed. Just try your best to follow these tips and stay on track. Maintaing accountability will make you the ideal employee.